Purpose: To know who the prophet of the church is and what he does.
Song: Follow the Prophet, Keep the Commandments
Attention Activity: Prophet Matching Game1
1. Print out
(maybe just a few if the kids are really little) and turn them over.
2. Take turns to find the matching prophet.
3. If you really want to get into it, find something that prophet is famous for and tell about it when they find the match. Look here for ideas.
4. For really little kids maybe you could draw matching shapes on the back of the matching pictures to make it easier for them to find the match...or don't turn them over and just have the pictures face up.
1. Begin by showing a picture of the current prophet and ask them who it is. Then ask them what he does. (this could get interesting)
2. Explain what the prophet does. Explain that a prophet gets instructions from God and he is in charge of telling us what God wants us to do. Talk about how general conference is a great time for the church leaders to let us know what God wants for us and from us
(I like to find a lot of activities and pick and choose some and use others for backup. The thing about teaching little kids is you need to have lots of activities and you need to be flexible. If one activity isn't working out for them, quickly move to another one. But since FHE's don't have to be terribly long, you'll really only need one or two at a time, but I'll post all the ones I find)
1. Stand up prophets of olden days2 (coloring, cutting). here
Instructions: Have the kids color the page, cut them out and stand them up. Say the name of the prophet and read what it says on the picture.
2. Book of Prophets coloring book3. here
3. Listen to a story about the significance Brigham Young had on the migration of thousands of Saints to he Salt Lake Valley here
4. Listen to a story from the friend about living prophets here.
Activities for the older family members:
(While the young ones are busy coloring or completing their activity, you can share some things for the older members)
1. Find a favorite general conference talk and read it
2. read "The fourteen fundamentals in following the prophet" here.
3. Watch one of these videos about following the prophet here.
Monkey Bread - Mix 1/3 C brown sugar, 1 T. water, 3 T. melted butter in a round glass bowl. Microwave for 2 min. Add 1 pkg. refrigerator biscuits onto mixture and place a small juice glass in center. Microwave 2 more min. Remove glass and invert onto serving plate. Serve warm by pulling sections apart. - Crystal Cummard
1. Shayla Bott (My sister...thanks for letting me steal your idea, I hope you don't mind)
2. "Lesson 24: I Will Follow the Prophet,” Behold Your Little Ones: Nursery Manual, (2008),100–103